06/04/2016

Picking it up in 2016

It's been awhile and so damn long since I even wrote anything here, and so much has changed since then, mostly physically and some mentality stuff too. Married with children and gained some useless mass around the tummy, chin and neck. Reading what I wrote in the past sort of gives me this weird impression I was so different then; young and not that mature (in writing). But overall, I still do childish stuff with friends; pinching (you guys know what I mean), having crazy fun conversations like we were still back in the university days, etc. That's me, and of course, I haven't really lost touch of my Microsoft Excel skills.

Just like my age, with the experiences, my MS Excel skills have also changed and grown to suit my daily work tasks and routines. Graphical stuff are now more to numbers and data, and programmes developed to filter and control these information. Call me boring, but to actually create these programmes, especially for the engineering world, it's really kind of satisfying and fun. Look at it this way, you get to finish your work faster than your usual traditional ways if you could just combine some INDEX and MATCH formulas together.

Getting the programme to work the way you want it to feels like a major achievement, just like you have invented something new and original to your liking. Take for example this easy ASME B36.10 pipe schedule table. You can create a selection tool with the few ready-to-use formulas like VLOOKUP, INDEX and MATCH whilst also using the conditional formating of MS Excel to provide the information of your input as well as highlighting the information on the table.

If you are not from the piping world, this will not make any sense to you. However, the basic programming is not just applicable to engineering, but in a position where you are required to highlight a selection in a table or a matrix.

So,guess I am being a bit more technical and detailed now compared to the few years back.

Guess it doesn't hurt to just share an example, and probably the MS Excel idea of the day? week? month? (depends on how free am I to write)


No comments: